Roasted Butternut Squash with Chorizo Kale
1 pkg Mulay’s Chorizo, cooked into crumbles
- 2 medium (3-pound) butternut squash, necks peeled, each squash cut lengthwise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) planks (squash bulbs reserved for another use)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 white or red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bunch lacinato kale (about 8 ounce), stems removed and leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup red drop peppers or piquanté peppers, optional
2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup), optional
1/4 cup salted roasted pepitas, or pine nuts, or pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 400°F. First prepare the butternut squash stakes by drizzling them evenly with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Arrange squash steaks on hot baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in preheated oven until golden brown and tender, 22 to 30 minutes, flipping after 12 minutes. You will know they are finished when you can stick a fork through them. Too crisp them up you can fry them in a small pan with a little oil on high heat right before serving.
While squash steaks roast, in a large skillet cook Mulay’s chorizo into crumbles, remove from pan and strain out any excess oil. Rinse pan and heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium. Add cumin, Pimentón, and coriander; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Stir in kale, 2 tablespoons water, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook, stirring often, until kale is wilted and tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
Divide squash steaks among 4 plates. Top squash with kale and chorizo mixture, and sprinkle with cheese and nuts.