Lena�s Meatball Pot Pies
4 individual pies or one large pie
- 2 c Nana's Spaghetti Sauce Recipe (or your favorite tomato sauce)
- Pie crust for one pie
- 1 Eggplant, sliced thin
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 7 Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 c Olive oil
- 1 t Oregano, Basil, Parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (optional)
1 pkg Mulay's Meatballs - cooked in sauce
Choose Baking Dish
- For individual Pot Pies use large muffin tin or Ramekins. For a large pie use a deep dished pie plate.
- 1. Preheat your oven to 450� F
- 2. Thinly slice eggplant, place on a baking sheet and sprinkling both sides of each slice with salt let sit for 10 minutes, rinse and dry.
- 3. In a large pan add 1 T olive oil, saut� your onions and mushrooms over med heat until soft. Add garlic let cook for a minute more. Add spices, stir well. Put mixture in small bowl and set aside.
- 4. In same pan add remaining olive oil and lightly brown the eggplant. Add more olive oil as necessary. When soft remove from heat and cut eggplant into small squares roughly the size of the bottom of your baking dish of choice.
- 5. Remove the meatballs from the sauce. Put 2 c sauce into a small bowl for ease of assembly.
- *Note: When you are ready to begin assembly, keep in mind that this is done best if completed quickly, this will keep your pie crust from getting soggy.
- 1. Roll out the pie crust dough into a thin circle shape large enough to fit your dish of choice. Press the dough into your dish making sure there are no holes in the bottom and it is pushed firmly into the corners.
- 2. Spread a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of your dish and place a layer of eggplant on top. Add Mulay's meatballs to fill the bottom of the dish. If your dish is shallow, cut meatballs in half. Cover with thick layer of sauce about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up the dish. If using mozzarella cheese, add now to cover everything.
- 3. Add the saut�ed mushrooms and onions, lightly pushing them in around the meatballs and into corners in order to level out the top of the pie. Add another layer of sauce and remainder of the eggplant. Add layer of mozzarella cheese if desired.
- 4. Finish pie with a thin layer of sauce and the pie crust top.
- 5. Brush crush lightly with a beat egg and sprinkle with salt.
- 6. Bake for 10 minutes at 450, then reduce heat to 350 and bake 30 more minutes. Remove from oven, let cool. Serve with fresh green salad for a most delicious meal.