Diane Sanfilippo's Pizza Mushrooms
- 8 Portobello Mushrooms, stems removed, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup pizza or marinara (no-sugar-added)
- 3-4 ounces shredded
- Goat mozzarella (or cheese of choice)
- ITALIAN blend (or a sprinkling of sea salt)
1 pkg Mulay's Nana' s Original Italian
Brush each of the mushroom caps with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. On a grill or grill pan preheated to medium-high heat, grill the mushroom caps, "cup" side down, for about 10 minutes, until they begin to soften. You can also bake them on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 350� F oven for about 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are grilling, prepare the stuffing. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown on the edges and translucent, then add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Next, add the sausage meat and wine into the pan, breaking the meat up into small bits, and cook for 8 minutes or until the sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Fill each mushroom base with 1-2 tablespoons of the pizza sauce, then evenly distribute the cooked sausage between the four mushrooms. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Place an oven rack in the top position and preheat the oven to a medium broil setting. Place the filled mushrooms on a baking sheet and boil for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and starts to brown.
- Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of