Bratwurst with Carmelized Onions and Guinness Reduction
- 1 bottle Guinness Beer
- 2 large onions -sliced thin
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- Kosher Salt
- Guinness Reduction Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup Guinness Beer
- 1 cup brown sugar - lightly packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sage
- Dash cayenne pepper
1 pkg Mulay's Bratwurst Links
In a large, heavy bottom skillet heat oil and 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat until melted. Add onions and stir, coating all with oil mixture. Reduce the heat to medium to prevent the onions from burning or drying out. After 10 minutes, sprinkle some salt over the onions. (add a little water to the pan if onions look like they are drying out.) Let cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. As soon as the onions start sticking to the pan, let them stick a little and brown, but then stir them before they burn.
- Remove from heat, put in a small bowl and set aside. Return the used pan to the stove, turn on burner to medium high, melt 1 T butter and pour in 1 bottle of beer, saving a little for you! Scrape off all stuck bits from the onions, place brats in beer, cover and poach for 10 minutes. Remove lid and let liquid dissipate. Brown the brats apx 6 minutes, turning as needed.
- SAUCE DIRECTIONS:
- In medium sauce pan combine Guinness and brown sugar over medium heat.
- Stir continuously until sugar has dissolved and mixture has started to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low and allow mixture to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring often. Add salt, sage, and cayenne and simmer for another 5 min. Remove from heat and set aside in small pitcher or cup with pouring spout.