Scotch Eggs - Breakfast Sausage
4 - (May want to double! Just saying...)
- HED: 1 pkg Mulay's Ground Breakfast Sausage
- 1 T thyme leaves
- 5 fresh eggs (4 boiled, 1 beaten)
- 1/2 c (6 oz) Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 c flour
Boil 4 Eggs (Beat one egg and reserve one for later)
- 4 min for runny yolks up to 8 minutes for a hard yolk. Remove from boiling water and submerge in ice bath to cool. Carefully peel eggs and gently set aside. Separate sausage into four balls. Flatten a ball by hand on a sheet of plastic wrap (app 12""x12"") pressing into a thin circle. Roll a pealed egg in flour and place into the center of the sausage circle. Gently work the meat around the boiled egg using the plastic wrap to help. Once the egg is surround by sausage twist the plastic wrap and spin the ball in the wrap, creating a smooth orb, completely sealed, remove from plastic wrap and set aside. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
- Roll each sausage ball in flour, then in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs combined with thyme, covering completely. Fry on stove or in air fryer.
- Stove Top: In a large, heavy bottom pan heat oil 1/2 " deep, over medium high heat for frying. Fry the eggs, rotating until golden brown on all side, apx. 8 min. Remove from oil, place on a paper towel to absorb oil.
- Air Fryer: space balls on rack in air fryer cooking for 6 min on high. Remove lid and rotate. Cook another 6 min until golden brown. (Air fryer cooks yolks more than pan frying).
- Plate and serve with hash browns and a side of fresh fruit. This meal is quite the treat!
- Note: You can use Mulay's Chorizo or Italian Sausage as a substitute for the Breakfast sausage for a completely different flavor profile.