A Whole Lotta Love Lasagna
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 large cans crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 - 1 c. water
- 1 T. oregano, basil, parsley.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mulay's Lasagna Ingredients:
- 1 - 1 lb. box lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. spinach
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- 4 T. butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 - 15 ounce container Ricotta cheese
- 1 c. freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 2 lbs. Mozzarella, grated
2 pkgs Mulay's Original Italian Sausage - Ground
- On high heat, brown sausage in a large sauce pan with olive oil. When browned, reduce heat to low and add onion and cook until wilted. Add garlic, tomatoes & spices. Reduce heat to low and cover, stirring occasionally. Let simmer on low at least one hour (can be made ahead).
- Saut� the spinach until just wilted, lightly salt and pepper, remove from heat set aside. Slice mushrooms and repeat saut� steps for spinach. In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs. Add the Ricotta and Romano cheeses, mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon, salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Coat a large, deep, pan with non-stick spray. In the bottom of the pan put a thin layer of sauce. Cover with 1 layer of DRY lasagna noodles. Cover the noodles with 1/2 of the Ricotta mixture and top with 1/2 lb mozzarella. Repeat layer of lasagna noodles top with thick layer of sauce, cover with spinach mixture, sprinkle with mozzarella. Repeat layer of lasagna noodles top with thick layer of sauce, cover with mushrooms, sprinkle with mozzarella. Repeat layer of lasagna noodles top with thick layer of sauce, cover with remaining Ricotta mixture. Repeat layer of lasagna noodles top with remaining sauce and cover with remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano. Spray a large sheet of tin foil (or fold together 2 pieces) large enough to completely cover the pan. Put the coated side of the foil down toward the cheese and seal tight around the pan. Place pan on a baking sheet in case the love runneth over! Bake for 2 hours, uncovering the lasagna after an hour and 15 minutes.
- Let set for at least 30 minutes while making a salad, slicing the really good crunchy bread and opening the wine. Set a beautiful table, plate the dinner, sit down, relax and enjoy this meal made with a whole lot of love. What happens next is up to you!